Petroleum engineers are a significant cog in the global gas and oil businesses. The key responsibilities of the engineers range from exploring oil and gas fields to abandoning depleted resource fields.
Many challenges that are posed by the rapidly transforming technological and commercial environment can be solved by such engineers only. Specialized training is provided to all such engineers in special b.tech colleges in uttrakhand and other parts of the world. Most oil and natural gas companies have their in-house programs to train employees in new technologies of oil rigging.
The term petroleum, in general, refers to the refined and/or crude oil products obtained while processing gasoline, heating oil, diesel fuel, etc. Petroleum products, by and large, are used everywhere.
Most commonly, petroleum is used to run our vehicles; less commonly, the fluid is used in manufacturing plastics, food items, medicines, and the like. As per studies, over 89 million barrels of liquid fuels oil and
What’s the job of a petroleum engineer?
As mentioned above, the technologists belonging to the discipline have to perform two major tasks.
- Identifying or exploring new oil and natural gas sectors
- Abandoning used up natural gas and oil fields
The job, however, doesn’t end here itself. Such engineers have to perform several other tasks. Read further to know.
- Once oil/natural gas reservoirs are discovered, the technologists work along with geologists to understand geographic formulation of the area. Such a geographic formulation is very necessary to know the properties of rock found in the area. Furthermore, the formulation helps monitor drilling as well as other production operations.
- Such technologists also help design equipment that assists in profitable recovery of natural gas and oil from reservoirs.
- The engineers heavily rely on cutting-edge computer models to enhance a reservoir’s performance. Such types of models are also designed by petroleum engineers. In additions, the same computer models can be used to increase the drilling options.
- It’s a fact that only negligible oil/natural gas flows out of a reservoir. Thus, it’s the job of petroleum technologists to develop as well as use high-tech natural gas/oil recovery methods.
- Additionally, oil and natural gas engineers have to develop advanced methods to drill oil from reservoirs. Such type of methods helps bring down the cost of oil drilling as well as overall production.
Specialities in petroleum engineering
The branch of engineering is divided into three significant subbranches namely – reservoir, production as well as drilling.
- Petroleum reservoir engineering
The technologists from the subbranch have to work for optimizing gas and oil recoveries. Such technologists are important in each and every phase of the production. Reservoir engineering lets its practitioners estimate the relevance of gas- and oil-production areas.
- Drilling engineering
Technologists belonging to the subbranch are responsible to carry out efficient, safe drilling. The engineers supervise every single aspect of oil drilling. Further, such technologists are proficient in using the most advanced drilling equipment.
- Petroleum production engineering
The engineers oversee the entire oil/natural gas production process. Further, the technologists are responsible for deciding when to abandon the oil fields. The engineers devise new methods to separate the extracted oil from gases and water.
At present, the competitiveness of the world has raised the demands for such type of engineers. The specialization is expected to grow exponentially in the near future.